Adulting: It's Okay to not be Okay







Hey it’s been a minute more like months๐Ÿ˜…

Whenever I think of how long it has been since I shared my mind with y’all I usually cringe. But do you know what, my mind always came up with the perfect excuses that made me postpone what I had to share with you. Fortunately, it didn’t stop the ideas from dropping, for that I am beyond grateful to the Holy Spirit. 

On that note, keep it at the back of your mind that I am going to share every single thing just be ready to read them. I will starting in the middle!

Well, I think I am becoming an adult! The realization has alarm bells ringing ding dong in my head as well as excitement and sadness.

What prompted this thought? On Sunday morning as I strolled towards the chapel for the morning service I could literally feel my mind stretching as if to accommodate the new habits, thoughts and new responsibilities I had to take on. 

To be honest, within the 7-8 minutes that it would take to reach the chapel’s entrance, I experienced an emotional rollercoaster. From smiling out of nostalgia to crying profusely and laughing at the end. I was indeed overwhelmed by all the emotions I felt. 

To cover up my puffy face and red eyes, I put on my facemask and glasses throughout.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚


Yes, that’s another thing, lately I have been learning to embrace everything I felt and not just being bound by compulsion to maintain a strong font. Basically, I was crying a lot more than I ever did when I was younger.

Some people will consider it a form of weakness, as a matter of fact, I used to think so a while back๐Ÿ˜…. Those days I’d try hard to “not cry” because big, strong girls and boys do not cry. While statements like these hold little truth to them as strong people are better mangers of their emotions, the problem with it is, they become imprinted in the fabrics of our minds that we respond reflexively to any display of emotion as a break in decorum rather see it as call for help.

If you ask me, it has done more harm than good. instead of going through the emotions we feel and expressing them, we stifle it, hide it like it doesn't exist and we expect to be emotionally mature? 

Why am I saying all this, not a lot of people talk about their processes in becoming an adult, it’s usually I was a child and boom, I’m an adult and I know it all or at least have things figured out. But one thing I am learning, that's far from it. The emotional, mental, physical and academic struggles are very real and it’s alright to struggle with all this.



It’s alright to cry, it is okay to be in touch with your feelings, it’s fine to be confused, it's okay to not have all the answers yet because you're in your process. You are in the journey of becoming the future you and unless you have a time machine somewhere in your closet, I don't think you've ever been to your future before! hence you're going to make some mistakes and you'll learn from them.

Embrace all of the things that comes with growing up that includes the hard, good, fun and sad parts. 

That's the message for today guys.

Finally, let me just say " You're doing well"

                                                                                                                  Ifedolapo



Comments

  1. Got me pondering for a while. Thanks for sharing this and the access to your personal experience. There’s always something to learn while adulting. You’re doing a great job. Well done x.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DANGEROUS HOPE

My Heart Still Skips At the Thought of You

The girl in glasses