A TALE OF TWO LOVERS PT 2


 

So I asked Oreoluwa to write a sequel to the first part of this poem to provide perspective from a guy's point of view and he agreed. 

He wrote it so beautifully and passionately you would think he was sharing his actual story! So, here you have it.

Boy replies:


I'll never forget

The first time you smiled at me

I literally felt my heart skip a beat

And the first day you spoke my name

You lit in me a powerful flame. Serendipity.

 

I learnt to love you as naturally as a baby learns to walk -

Your sway, your smile, that little thing you do when you talk

I fell in love with it all

And you showed me your promised love in all its 7 hues

The feeling of euphoria when I heard you say I love you too

I’d been told life could really be good

But I never knew what that felt like till I met you

 

The world could throw its worst at me

I had you and that was all I needed

Storms came and then they passed

Surely this was built to last

 

But nothing really lasts forever, does it?

Doubts and fears start to seep in

I don’t ever want to let go and-

She always says ditto

But why doesn’t it always seem so?

I want to shout my love out from the mountain tops

But she’d rather not say a peep

Have I wasted my expressions and gestures?

No… it’s mutual

Or at least I think so


 

Another day, another week

Our vibes are not matching

I feel my enthusiasm start to shake

How much more of this can my heart take?

 

But go on I must

For her, for us, I must be strong

I can see that she is trying, nevertheless-

It doesn’t make this less tasking.

 

Now I’ve reached breaking point

My heart can’t stretch any further

Have you ever had to let go of something you loved loads

Because holding on seemed to hurt a lot more?

 

Now my days are spent writing memoirs on tear soaked pages,

Looking up at the bland, grey skies

Reminiscing & seeing you in other people’s faces

Sneaking glances here and there with my side eyes

Our once great flames

Reduced now to flickering embers in its places

                                                                                                      

By Oreoluwa Odutoye


PS: To catch the full gist, you might want to read TALE OF TWO LOVERS PT 1


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DANGEROUS HOPE

My Heart Still Skips At the Thought of You

The girl in glasses