They call it Petrichor, I call it warm Grassmint


 

It was raining.

I can’t recall loving the rain 

Particularly a thunderstorm 

They usually scare the joy out of me 

Incepting fear and panic right down to my not so small bones 

Till they sometimes succumb to involuntary shaking


But I do love the traces the rain leaves behind

Telling whoever who cares to notice I was here



First there is the smell of the ground and the grass

Petrichor the scientists call it

Wafting through the air into my nostrils 

Smelling like some sort of mint Made from the grass 

Grassmint I like to call it

Mixed with the heat

Finding escape from the tight, firm grip of the earth’s crust





This smell wafting not just into my nostrils but also up as far as the clouds 

A process described as convection in science.

But this author would  like to imagine it as an exchange;

A form of appreciation from the ground to the clouds for its release


Then, the crusts on the ground the rain forms

Very crunchy I’d say

Each time my feet takes a step on the crusted ground

I’m reminded of the times I’d make my cornflakes with cold water and lots of milk

Going further to take a spoon and move it towards my opened mouth

I’m reminded of the sound that comes from the grinding of the cereal in between my merciless teeth😂

Crunch crunch crunch 





How dare I not mention 

the cool breeze that comes with the rain !

That makes ones sleep a little more blissful

That makes you want to scoot a little deeper under your blanket even though there’s no longer depth or length for the poor blanket.

Or the atmosphere it creates that makes most hormonal human beings (which is everyone) crave some form of intimate human contact


There is no end to statements like “Weather for two”  at this time


Oh sweet rain 

If you were a person I’d have give you a hug 

Since I can’t do that 

I might have to resort to the occasional dance in the rain 

I hope you like my spazzing dancing Mr Rain



                                                                                                        Ifedolapo

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DANGEROUS HOPE

My Heart Still Skips At the Thought of You

The girl in glasses