N65.40k



It’s 5pm already 

And My bank account 

is almost as empty 

as my stomach and colon 


In fact I emptied my bowels 

At around 6pm yesterday 

So you see,

I feel as empty as empty feels

With just N65.40k spare.


Just as in the time of Joseph the dreamer 

I had experienced a period of abundance

Gleaning from his story,

I made an effort to fill my stores like he did for Egypt 

In preparation of the days of lack and scarcity 


Those days of much stretched far and long 

Like I’d never see days without plenty again

But indeed, those other days came

Days of wants and scarcity 

Days of needs and nothingness.


I sought refuge in my stores. 

Out of those stores 

My needs were met 

Over and over again 

And just before I ran out 

A period of surplus smiled upon me 

Again 

So I refilled 

This was the pattern 


But in recent times 

I’ve seen more days of scarcity 

And fewer days of abundance 

I find myself hanging on tightly to the next pay day 

I look forward to another raise like life wouldn’t be better without it

But even those are becoming more infrequent 

The times are tough.

What am i going to do

How do I get out of this cycle?


I’ve dreamed of days when I’d be sung to sleep by a beautiful voice 

(Preferably, the voice of a lover)

But never in my wildest dreams did I envision 

The voracious growling of my stomach the sound that will rock me to bed, force me to sleep

Even after several rounds of Ijebu garri soaked in water for 5minutes to appease its anger. 


Nawa o 

Sapa you do this one.



Ifedolapo

Comments

  1. The ending got meπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ₯².

    For real things are even tougher than before. Prices of things have tripped. Who is romancing sapa on our behalf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kai! Sapa is a bastard.πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate all too well to this! 😭🀣 Sapa really do this one πŸ˜ͺ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done dear niece. There is a glory at the end of the tunnel. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sapa you do this oneπŸ˜‚
    Na you make Dolapo write epistleπŸ˜‚πŸ˜­

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DANGEROUS HOPE

My Heart Still Skips At the Thought of You

The girl in glasses